Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Whatever you think, think the opposite.


I am in love with this book.

So I've been meaning to read this book for awhile now, and I just got around to it. I looked all over the bookstore today to find it and eventually stumbled over it in the "Popular Psychology" section. I think popular psychology is code word for "Self-Help," but hey I wasn't embarassed, I'm always in need of a little self-help.

Anyway, Paul Arden, who is a former creative director in British Advertising, basically compiled some great life advice [complete with pictures, and for some reason British people always feel the need to stick in a few naked people... I don't know how he figured out how to connect naked people to life advice, but he did]. My favorite advice came from his comparison of the phrases "I wish" and "I want." The distinction describes my constant inner conflict perfectly.

Here's an exerpt for you:
"I wish means: wouldn't it be nice if...
If you always make the right decison, the safe decision, the one most people make, you will be the same as everyone else. Always wishing life was different.

I want means: if I want it enough, I will get it.
Getting what you want means making the decisons you need to make to get what you want. Not the decisions those around you think you should make. Making the safe decision is dull, predictable and leads nowhere new."

The book then goes on to describe ME on each and every page as it refers to the "average" person, "most" people, "steady eddie." Obviously I need to work on breaking the mold and avoiding the herd. Baa.

No comments: