Tuesday, May 22, 2007

"That girl has a lot of wishes."


Man looks at wife holding a single penny. Man then points to me and says jokingly, "That girl has A LOT of wishes."

It all started last weekend when I was complaining to my accounting group that pennies (or in the UK, pence) are so worthless. Instead of carrying around hundreds of 1 pence coins in my purse, I've been throwing them into some makeshift coin holders I made out of plasic candy containers. So literally I had about 2 pounds of 1 pence and 2 pence coins saved up and nothing to use them for...and no, I prefered to spare myself the embarassment of handing over a massive pile of change at the cash register. So anyway, I'm describing the problem to my group [it was on the topic of money problems, so I figured it was accounting related] and one guys says, "You should throw them in a wishing well!" I'm thinking in my head, "Ok great idea...minus the fact we are in Bath and I haven't seen any wishing wells just lying around." Meanwhile hes thinking and then suddenly exclaims, "THE ROMAN BATHS!" Now, I'm pretty sure my group was joking, and didn't actually expect me to take this rather eccentric advice... but they might not know me well enough. That was it, it was decided. I was going to dump a big chunk of change into the Roman Baths wishing well.

Today was the day. Bored with studying, all packed up to go home, and 2 full canisters of international change sitting on my desk, I decided it was time. I grabbed my purse, loaded up and headed for the Roman Baths museum. After sifting through the crowds of tourists I finally made it to the wishing pool and set up camp. At first I started to throw my coins in one by one, actually making wishes. Then after missing on one throw and having a whole class of what looked to be 5th graders start laughing at me, I started to throw them in quick succession. I wished for everything and everyone I know. Then I kind of ran out of wishes, so I was trying to offer my coins to other people around me. The first lady I offered a coin to, declined... WHO declines free money? or better yet a FREE wish. Anyway, second person I offered it to didn't speak english, so she took it and said "grazi" because I don't think she knew how to decline politely in english. I figured I should probably target non-english speakers from there on out. Anyway, I am proud to say that all my coins are now resting safely on the bottom of the wishing pool :) In terms of them coming true... I'd say my odds are looking pretty good!

No comments: