Friday, May 25, 2007

Now sit back, relax, and ENJOY the flight.


Yesterday was just amazing. Let me just say that again, YESTERDAY WAS JUST AMAZING. Not only did I get to come home to home sweet America, but I had the best flight experience of my life. Once I finally made it to Heathrow with my 2 huge bags (of which one guy asked me, "What do you have in there, a body?"... he said this with a serious face, which kind of creeped me out), I checked those suckers and headed to the lounge. Thats right, business class people get to hang out in their own fully stocked lounge! Anyway, I made myself a nice cup of tea and read my newest book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People" until the plane was ready to board. So when I finally get on the plane, this man comes and sits down next to me. And to fully understand the weirdness of this encounter you must have a little preview of our first conversation:

Chris: "Hi my name is Chris."
Me: "Hi my name is Katie."
Chris: "Wow, my sister's name is Katie. I'm actually finally coming home from being deployed in Pakistan and going to visit her in Baltimore this weekend."
Me: "Thats funny, my dad's name is Chris and I'm going to Baltimore this weekend too."
Chris: "Yeah, I'm excited I'm meeting up with all my family and friends and we're going to see the NCAA lacrosse championships."
Me: "What a coincidence, we are too! So where are you going to live now that you are back from Pakistan?"
Chris: "Well, I'm heading down to Georgia for a few months and then I'm actually headed back out to Japan."
Me: "I WAS BORN IN JAPAN. Both of my parents were in the Air Force."
Chris: "Alright so did you live on Yokota Air Force Base?"
Me: "YES."
Chris: "Yeah, I lived there for 8 years actually. From 1992-1999."
Me: "WE LIVED THERE AT THE SAME TIME... Alright Chris, this is just starting to get creepy!"

Anyway, this conversation took place within minutes of sitting down and already I had made a friend for the flight. We both enjoyed our welcome on board beverages and made mimosas from the little champagne orange juices they were handing out. Everything was downhill from there. I had my wine glass filled everytime it got below some imaginary line... the flight attendant would just show up out of nowhere! I indulged in my 3 course meal, and even had afternoon tea and sandwiches. AND I got to watch 2 amazing chick flicks: Music and Lyrics & Catch and Release. I could not have asked for a better flight. We touched down in the land of the free, and a huge smile seem to be plastered on my face. It feels great to be home!

No comments: