Sunday, May 20, 2007

Shoo fly, don't bother me!


So today at around 10:45 I decided that I needed to go to mass at the Abbey one last time for the sake of closure. I hurriedly threw on a some slacks and sadly a wrinkled shirt due to the fact that I still have yet to fold the laundry I did a few days ago... [one day I will learn] Anyway, I was sitting in church in awe of the choir when all the sudden this fly starts to distract me. It was flying around the row ahead of me, and for some reason it slowly started to consume all of my attention. It was hovering around the two ladies in front of me, who seemed to be unaffected by its scatterbrained nose dives. I give them credit, because they were able to stay completely still in spite of this annoying little bugger. SO STILL in fact that the fly decided to land on the head of the woman directly in front of me. At this point I have lost all track of what is going on in the mass and my eyes are glued to the tiny black specimen seated in the mass of shiny grey hair in front of me. Finally when the woman lowered her head in prayer, the fly lept off... only to JOIN my row. This was something I hadn't counted on. For the first 10 minutes of its visit, I attempted to be the sensible, mature young girl who could sit quietly and not let it bother her. However, at about minute 11, I started to break down. I did not want to be the one with a fly sitting in my hair. As subtly as possible, I started to nod my head after every sentance the minister said in hopes that at least this would protect my hair. However, the bobble head approach only lasted so long due to the fact that I realized I must look like an idiot. Then I caved and went with the full out SWAT approach. While everyone else was seated with their heads down reverently, I was swatting away at a fly that seemed to be magnitized to me. It had a whole church with some of the highest ceilings in town, and it decided to pick on the poor American in the crowd. The only thing that made me feel better about myself was when this touristy looking lady, wearing jeans and some fake D&G sunglasses on her head, had her cell phone go off in the middle of the choir's main song. It echoed throughout the whole church... she promptly left the mass- stilettos clanking and all. At least I stuck in there :)

No comments: