Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Big Daddy duck & his little ducklings too.


I found it impossible to sit within the confines of the library today. Instead, I took advantage of the beautiful weather and made my way down to the lake area on campus. There were students scattered in different areas, so I picked the least populated patch of grass that was slightly in the shade, and claimed my spot. I opened my book, and lay down with my head on my highly uncomfortable substitute for a pillow, my backpack. As I'm lying there trying to work out the logistics of holding my book at just the right height to block out the sun, I see a mother duck and her ducklings coming my way. I inwardly 'ooooed' and 'ahhhhed' as they passed by me, waddling towards a nearby tree. How adorable, I thought. Then, out of nowhere comes Big Daddy Duck. Big Daddy isn't quite as hesitant towards people, and makes a B line right towards me. He gets an inch away from my hand, and I start to check out the size of his beak. It's pretty big. I've never even considered being afraid of a duck before, but here it was staring at me straight in the eye, and it sensed my fear. My fight or flight reaction kicked in and I jumped up and grabbed my backpack and started to walk away to a nearby rock. I was kind of mad about having to get up and move because of a DUCK, but I mean, at least I wouldn't be known as 'the girl who got attacked by a duck' for the rest of the semester. However, I turn around and Big Daddy is still on my tail. BD must have had it out for me. Here I am in the middle of a nice grassy area, zigging and zagging trying to get BD off my tail. After a few bob-and-weave manuevers, BD got bored with me. Thank goodness. I was starting to look like an idiot.

Oh by the way, I decided yesterday that I want to go to law school. This has nothing to do with ducks, but I thought if I threw it in after talking about Big Daddy, it would make my decision seem less real and scary.

2 comments:

E Moore said...

wow - i was just in an awful mood and reading that made my burst out laughing. why is your life to comincal? nothing this interesting happens to me... ever. except maybe my super awkward clumsyness that usually brings me down in my best moments. damn you, big feet!
anyway, thanks for the cheer.

Chapes said...

Hahaha we are living together next year, so I'm sure there will be plenty of comical happenings to go around!