Thursday, May 3, 2007

Be afraid. Be very afraid.


Last year, my brother graduated from high school and brought home all of his books from his senior year English class. I hadn't read any of them and started to freak out that I wasn't well educated. This is when my read-a-thon began. My first task was to conquer the classics. I think I would have to say that reading Crime and Punishment during camp last summer was my biggest hurdle, but after that it was smooth sailing through: Mrs. Dalloway, Jane Eyre, Pride & Prejudice, The Invisible Man, The Good Earth, The Mandarins, Wuthering Heights...

Anyway, recently I've tried to broaden my scope to start covering the MUST READs. Lately I've read some easy cheesies: The Bell Jar, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, Angela's Ashes, Angels & Demons... Today I decided it was time for a bold, gutsy choice: THE SHINING. My Dad has actually been telling me to read this book for years, but he was also the one that recommended 'Salem's Lot' to me, my first Stephen King experience...that I still haven't quite gotten over. Obviously if I'm afraid of a book, I am the biggest scaredy-cat alive, but I feel like I need to conquer my fear and just 'git 'er done'. I took the first step today by actually purchasing it, but I can't say I've gotten much further than that. I tried to start reading it..TWICE, but I kept thinking that if I read too far then I would surely reach something scary. Then I decided I couldn't read it because I was alone in my room, so I went outside to the local park and gave it another shot, no such luck. For everyone else, the first chapter or so of a horror book is all fine and dandy, but for ME, my mind starts thinking of the worst possible scenarios and then freaks me out before I even get to the bad parts. Anyway, its almost midnight now and I'm thinking the third try's a charm. What better than a creepy nightime setting to set the mood. Nightmare central here I come.

No comments: