Sunday, June 29, 2008

War and Peace


In need of a book and somewhat of a time filler, I found myself strolling through the aisles of a small book store in Grand Central on my way home. After looking at all the titles, I kept returning to Tolstoy. I've always wanted to read War and Peace, maybe just for the challenge, I'm not sure. For some reason some of my favorite books turn out to be the ones that are really long and are filled cover to cover with the small details of everyday living. So anyway, as I lugged my small dictionary sized book to the counter the cashier gave me a look and sent me on my way with an apologetic "good luck" that made me second guess my choice. However, I'm 50 pages in and I'm already finding amusement in the last names of the characters. Sergyevitch, Mihalovna, and here's my favorite Vladimirovitch. Thats correct, 14 letters, I counted. The first thought that popped into my mind after this discovery was thinking how stressed out I would be if I had to bubble the name Vladimirovitch in on a standardized test. Probably not the type of thoughts Tolstoy hoped to provoke when he wrote this novel...

2 comments:

Zoey said...

people hate on war and peace specifically because they cant get past the last names. but if you sit there and google the last names its fun. yes i read your blog, even from europe

Chapes said...

Well Zoey that is impressive. I feel better knowing that you know what is going on in my life. I hope you're having a wonderful time in Europe!