Thursday, June 19, 2008

Humdinger


Today was laundry day. For any of you who are graced with the pleasure of having to make that weekly trip to the laundry mat, you understand the true torture of this event. However, despite my inner dread that rises every time I realize I've run out of clothes, I'm starting to look for the entertainment in my experiences.

Today there was plenty.

Now this is only the second time I've actually been to this laundry mat, and but it is usually filled with an eclectic mix of people. And today was no exception. But before I introduce you to Mr. Humdinger, you have to understand that the laundry mat is set on a radio station known for playing today's latest pop. So as I'm sitting, reading my book, waiting for the washer to finish- enters Mr. Humdinger. He looks normal enough. He looked normal, but he didn't sound normal.

After a few minutes he started doing this half-hum half-sing sort of sound. Have you ever heard a half-hum-sing? If not, hope that you never do. So it is just me and Mr. Humdinger in the laundry mat, and he is hum singing as loud as he can- no shame whatsoever. I figured he would grow bored of his hum singing, but he did not. So when I finally came to terms with the fact that it would not stop, I started to listen closer. For awhile I thought he was humming along to the music. But as Rihanna's Take a Bow came blasting out of the stereo, Mr. Humdinger might as well have been humming to Cat Steven's Peace Train.

After this discovery I started to feel bad for Mr. Humdinger, mainly because I realized that he would never be able to play Cranium. What a shame.

No comments: