Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Chivalry Translates Across Cultures


Many people believer that New Yorkers are hardened by the city. They walk fast. They are forward. They don't waste time with pleasantries. But don't let these things fool you, today I decided that they are really softies on the inside. My evidence came in the form of an elevator ride.

As I was waiting for the elevator to arrive this morning and take me back down to the ground level, I was accompanied by a gentleman standing to my right. As he was positioned closer to the elevator than I, I figured he would get on first. But to my surprise when the elevator stopped, he held out his hand to hold the door and let me in first. Then when the elevator reached the ground floor, he repeated the gesture. Figuring it was a fluke, I walked to work and was baffled by a similar scenario. To think, I've been here for a few weeks now and I'm just now realizing that chivalry exists in Manhattan...despite the revolving doors.

I'll keep you posted on any further discoveries on my mission to find southern hospitality in the city.

2 comments:

Zoey said...

chivalry! you mean sexism?


yes i am a faithful reader

Chapes said...

and I thought I was writing to myself :)