Thursday, July 10, 2008

Do You Have A Minute?


The answer to this question should always be no. No, I don't have a minute.

Today I was side swiped while standing idly in the doorway of our conference room. I was just innocently glancing at an episode of Bravo's Sheer Genius, and BAM! Out of nowhere comes the "Katie, Do you have a minute?" from a nearby office. Without having a previous excuse prepared, the word "sure" floated hesitantly from my lips.

Before I knew it, the door was being closed behind me, and there I was- trapped. Apparently today was the day of my intern mid-way evaluation. I get a mid-way evaluation? They really should tell the interns these things. I need like a week's preparation for these sort of one-on-one gatherings. Whenever placed in this sort of setting my first reaction is always to cry. I don't know why, but whenever I'm sitting across from anyone of a higher position than myself, tears seem to want to jump from my eyes.

So there I was, sitting in a closed office, fighting back tears- keep in mind nothing has even been said at this point other than the infamous words, "Do you have a minute?" Needless to say, I survived, and somehow managed to run out of the office before my tear ducts had a chance to let loose. Lets just say face-to-face evaluations aren't my favorite activity... in fact I'd prefer they just sent me an email, but in a way I guess it is good to hear what I can improve on.

I will say, initially, upon leaving the office I felt like I had been identified as a spineless jellyfish. But after about half a bag of SPK, I realized I would just have to make a goal this summer: grow a spine. And thus, I survived another day in the city.

No comments: