Monday, April 23, 2007

"You become what you think about all day long."


I was actually just thinking about how I am probably the most pessimistic person alive. My Dad's goodbye gift to me when I came to study abroad was a book entitled "The Little Gold Book of YES! Attitude: How to find, build, and keep a YES! Attitude for a lifetime of success" Unfortunately I never made it past the first chapter, which is mostly endorsing copyright of the phrase "YES! attitude.” Which probably means I could get in trouble for even blogging about it. You would think, however, that the author would applaud the fact that I have made it to the first step of the recovery process: admitting I have a problem. Well, I'm assuming that the book probably outlines some sort of cycle like the stages of grief or the 12 steps to recovering from alcohol abuse. I might have to glance over it on the plane home in case my Dad asks. In my defense, however, I find that when you have a pessimistic attitude, you don't expect anything, and when you don't expect anything you are pleasantly surprised by what you get.

Ok this is hilarious. I just opened the book, now that I've actually been talking about it, I peaked my own interest. This is the page I blindly opened to:

"FUNNY SELF-TEST: What are your first thoughts? What are your first responses? How do you react to ordinary situations? What do you say? Can you think funny? Can you create a smile? Can you elicit one? What about your eight hours at work? Where's your sense of humor there? How does work impact your sense of humor and your sense of funny?

CAUTION ONE: Funny is not to be confused with cynical.
CAUTION TWO: Funny is not to be confused with biting humor."

...so now I'm a pessimist and I'm not funny. great.

No comments: