Sunday, April 29, 2007

Feminine Nachos.


I have been in search of Mexican food since being in England, and have been quite unsuccessful. The other day there was a spark of hope as I eyed the menu in a pub that had "Macho Nachos" listed under its appetizers. The fact that I haven't seen REAL tortilla chips since I've been here made me a little skeptical, but I decided I was obligated to order them to prove I was fully dedicated to my search. Now, I don't know how many of you have actually ever ordered MACHO nachos off of a menu before, but my experience has been that this menu item is usually a large, heaping, unusually massive pile of tortilla chips covered in salsa, cheese, guacamole, beans, sour cream, and sometimes a few other toppings if you're lucky. So, here I was patiently awaiting this appetizer, almost salivating because I'm so hungry, and I am greeted with what I can only now label a foe order of "Feminine Nachos." The waitress approached the table carrying a plate with about 7 imitation doritos covered in some cheese with a piece of lettuce on top of the cheese that acted as a pallet for a drop of salsa, guacamole, and sour cream. I offered her a half-hearted 'thank you' as she left the plate sitting sadly in front of me. It wasn't the real deal, but it was as close as I've gotten, so I made myself enjoy them, while laughing hysterically on the inside. Needless to say, my search is still on.

No comments: