Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Always love.


These past few days have been surreal. I never believed anything like this could ever happen so close to home. I remember watching the news when the Columbine tragedy occured and I realize now that I had no clue what they must have been feeling in Littleton, Colorado. I was sitting comfortably at home in Virginia detached completely from the situation. Now eight years later I am sitting in Bath, England while Virginia Tech undergoes this tragedy and it feels so personal. I have been reading all the news articles and watching clips, and at first I didn't believe it. Here I am so far away while all of this is happening, and if I just turned off my computer it almost wouldn't be real. I didn't know any of the victims, but thinking about all the people I know who go to Virginia Tech, it is a God send that none of them were hurt. How would I have felt if it were my brother, my friend, my teacher? I just keep thinking about that over and over and I can't imagine.

It is times like this when I wish I could tell everyone in my life what they mean to me. People that I haven't talked to since high school, middle school, some even elementary school. People that are on my buddy list who probably don't even remember my name. People who smiled at me, waved to me, or did a random act of kindess. I'm sure it would be embarassing to go up to them and actually give them incidences in which they made a difference in my life, but when I think about it, there are so many people that I think deserve to hear it. Maybe one day I'll work up the courage to tell them. But for now, if you're reading this, know that you are one of them.

No comments: