Sunday, April 15, 2007

Are we there yet?


FLASHBACK ENTRY:
April 3, 2007
When we boarded this ferry in Santorini I did not anticipate the intentions of the man sitting exactly one row and three seats to the left of me. No, I know what you're thinking- he wasn't at all attractive. We'll just call him "Papi" for short because he was definitely in that stage of his life. Anyway, at this point I was worn out from our island experience that was finally coming to a close. We had spent the past few days riding donkeys, climbing an active volcano, and contemplating the striking resemblance of our hostel's massuce to the guy in Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo. This was our second trip on the ferry, and although the first trip was filled with screaming children who's parent's let them run wild...Papi was almost worse. Looking very innocent at first, him and his wife settled down in their seats, and for the first hour or so I hardly even noticed them. Then they came over to where we were sitting and grabbed chairs which they propped in front of them as foot rests... Now that they were confortable- it was nap time. This was the moment I was introduced to the loudest snoring I have ever heard in my entire life... I didn't even know those kind of acoustics were possible. Papi was out- out cold FOR THE WHOLE RIDE. I'm talking an eight hour ferry ride here. His face was plastered in the same expression with his mouth open wide. We tried our best to give some sort of overt signal to his wife to get her to wake him up...she didn't seem to catch on. No matter how loud we commented on the snoring or how obvious our stares were- nada- no reaction. We did everything we could to try to block out the consistent sounds coming from Papi, but our attempts were futile. Even when the NCAA tournament came on TV (random being that we were in Greece?) we just couldn't seem to concentrate. Needless to say the moment we saw lights ahead in the distance, we grabbed our backpacks and headed below deck to stand in the cargo area until the ferry docked. After all of that, all I could think about is, I can never marry anyone who snores, period.

No comments: