Monday, June 4, 2007

Are you a real person?


I was given my first assignment as a fourth year today: secure rooms in Charlottesville for graduation. My mom left specific instructions for me to call the hotel at exactly 10AM. She said all I had to do was leave my name and phone number on an answering machine and then the hotel would call me back. It sounded easy enough. This morning I set an alarm for 9:45 AM to make sure I'm all dialed up and ready to go at exactly 10. I gave it a test run around 9:55 AM to see if I could cheat the system and get in early, but all I got were endless rings. I now realize this was a good sign. I called at exactly 10, and got the "I'm sorry all lines are busy at this time. Please try calling back later." I heard this lovely message about 25 times in a row, then decided it was time to call in reinforcements. I handed Tyler the house phone, and we both pushed redial all through breakfast. No luck. So finally around 10:40 I get a ring. YES. However, it just kept ringing and ringing until I was about to hang up. Then I heard a voice A REAL VOICE. "Hello Courtyard Marriot." I quickly blabbered out, "Hi, I'm calling to make reservations for next years graduation." Instantly, I hear rings again. Lots of em'. After this round of rings, again I hear, "Hello Courtyard Marriot." Great, this time I talk a little louder, "Hi yes, I'd like to reserve rooms for UVA graduation next year." BAM. Rings. Finally I hear the voice again, this time a take a new approach:
Me: "Hi IS THIS A REAL PERSON?"
Lady: "Yes..."
Me: "Ok, I've been calling and I keep hearing your voice, and then BAM it start ringing again. What am I doing wrong?"
Lady: "Its a lottery system, you just have to keep waiting until you get through."
Me: "Thanks."

Then back to the ringing... THEN wait, I immediately got through to the answering machine! I think that woman must have been either amused or annoyed, but whatever it was, SHE SENT ME THROUGH! YAY! So now, the rest of my day is going to consist of sitting idly by my phone waiting to hear back from my new found friends at the Courtyard Marriot.

No comments: