Thursday, June 7, 2007

Just His Luck.


Last night around 7:45 PM we got a phone call from Tyler informing us that he was on his way to the emergency room. He got hit in the eye during a game of basketball. My Mom had been hoping he would phone to tell us why he missed dinner... I guess he got off the hook. Anyway, I volunteered to go to the ER with my mom, which turned out to be an all night event. When we pulled up to the hospital, there is Tyler standing outside the doors of the ER holding ice on his swollen shut black eye that was also bleeding... Let me repeat STANDING OUTSIDE. For future ER visits Rule #1: Always go INSIDE and get your name on the list immediately. Anyway, I jumped out of the car while my mom parked and ushered him in to start the paperwork. My mom joined us and we all sat in the waiting room. First of all, this experience alone kind of made me want to volunteer in the ER. It was completely out of control. There was a woman behind us who was moaning as if she was going to have childbirth, and yet no one was doing anything for her [my mom eventually went over to her to ask if there was anything she needed]. Then there is a guy who comes in and while he is trying to sign in, he falls to his hands and knees and is throwing up, while the receptionists did nothing... Again, my mom goes up to the desk and asks them to get a wheelchair for him...? Something is wrong with this picture. Eventually, we got called into the back room and Tyler was getting the normal blood pressure check and then the guy had him look at the seeing chart. The guy asked Tyler the number of the line that he could read...to which Tyler replied, "I can't even read the numbers." Obviously the kid couldn't read anything on the chart and the guy was sitting there laughing saying, "Who is this guy, Dr. Mcdoogle?" or something cheesy like that because he thought Tyler was joking around with him. WHO JOKES AROUND IN AN EMERGENCY ROOM?
Anyway after we got done with that paperwork, we were sent back out into the waiting room, and then about an hour later we were called back to wait in a room that had a small board inside saying "The Fast Track Team". We later decided this team should be renamed to "The Slowskies." We ended up spending about 4 hours in this room, waiting on Bob, the physician's assistant on duty. Poor Bob, I feel bad for the guy, he was the only one working back there [He later informed us he thinks it might be time for him to retire.] Anyway, while Tyler laid there, my mom and I kept watch outside the window. We were particularly entertained by the racoon look of the nurse at the desk outside our window. Apparently she plays tennis and walks everyday... however, my mom recommended she get some smaller sunglasses. At about 1 o'clock we were FINALLY cleared to leave, and everything turned out OK. Tyler later blamed the whole incident on the Lindsay Lohan movie, "Just My Luck" that I made him watch earlier that day... apparently her bad luck rubbed off on him. That Lohan girl is just causing trouble everywhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

the whole time i read this, i was singing to myself "tyler chapin, tyler chapin ..."