Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Dentist Speak.


About a year ago, I graduated from my childhood dentist/orthodontist. I wasn't quite ready to leave, but one day as I was sitting in the chair [surrounded by pre-schoolers playing with the prizes from the prize box], the dental hygenist who looked not much older than me said, "Hey there sweetie, how old are you?" As the number 20 came out of my mouth, I knew it was time to move on. So today was second appointment at my new dentist. She's actually very nice and even remembered that I had spent a semester in England. However I think the reason I like her so much is that when she asks me questions, instead of me having to try to speak with three different gadgets in my mouth, she actually removes her tools, allowing for a coherent response. A common courtesy that is rare in the dentistry world. Anyway, after she had checked out my teeth, I was left with another woman to do some polishing & cleaning. Again, very nice, however she had on one of those things that cover your mouth, and for the life of me I could not understand what she was saying. I tried to smile and nod in between her sentances, but my lips were so dry from the air sucky tool that even that was hard to do. However, I was able to catch one key sentance before she moved on to the flossing. She said, "You have such beautiful eyes." I'm sitting there in my reclined chair with this woman's hands in my mouth, and all she can comment on is my eyes? Great, my eyes are beautiful, but what about my TEETH? I thought there was some sort of unwritten rule that when in the dentist chair, at least one person must tell you what beautiful teeth you have... At least I got a free toothbrush out of this deal.

No comments: