Saturday, March 3, 2007

"The Room of Love"


Let me preface this story by giving you a little background. When I first moved into my dorm I met pretty much everyone on my floor, except my neighbor. At first I didn't even realize there was anyone even living in the room next to me. I never heard any noise or saw anyone coming in or out of it. It was a few weeks ago that I first heard a voice. It was a girl speaking in an asian language with such a voracity that I thought I was starting to hear imaginary voices. I placed my ear next to the wall and sure enough it was real. Another week or so passed and there was still no evidence of an inhabitant. I decided to ask my friendly Bulgarian neighbor what the deal was since he had lived here during the first semester. That is when I was introduced to the "Room of Love." Apparently this girl, Katherine, has a boyfriend in London and she often stays there most of the time. However, when her boyfriend visits Bath...well it is QUITE a visit. I kind of brushed this thought out of my mind because I still hadn't seen the girl and didn't quite believe she actually existed. On Tuesday of this week, I had my first sighting. There she was. I could see her through the door to the kitchen and I ran to confirm with someone that this was actually her! I can't say that we've ever spoken or even introduced ourselves...but today I feel like I know a little more than I ever wanted to. Today I was sitting at my desk staring blankly at the word document on my computer screen. I was trying to write an essay for my Ecological Thinking class, and I had hit a mental block. All of the sudden I hear this sound. Yes. The bed in the room next to me is being used, and not for sleeping. The creaking of the matress is audible pretty much all the way down the hall. I put my ear to the wall just becuase I can't believe this. It turns out that her bed is exactly next to my bed on the other side of the wall. Needless to say, I don't think I will be getting much sleep tonight.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is the type of thing that makes me miss you podcasts for i feel that you really can't extend the proper amount of awkwardness suffeciently through text . . .

Chapes said...

Haha I think you are right. I can't wait till I get home and can podcast again.

E Moore said...

JUST WAIT UNTIL NEXT YEAR MY FRIEND!

ok, just kidding, that's gross. tell fratty-face i said hi!

Anonymous said...

also, chapin, please tag me as something random. i feel really left out.