Sunday, March 18, 2007

I need a designated decision maker.


I cannot make decisions. I cannot make plans for anything more than a week in advance. I have trouble committing to ANYTHING and everything that involves the future. I am in serious need of a life coach. I always wondered if they actually exist as I imagine them. I once saw this commercial where this guy would do something,like buy a soda out of a vending machine, and out of nowhere was this great applause. That is how I envision my life coach, my own personal cheerleader. They would enthusiastically congratulate me on my every move and encourage me when things get rough. I'm now adding decision making to their job descrption. Ok I'm blabbering on about this imaginary person, and I really just need to address the actual problem: THIS SUMMER. I have no idea what to do. I mean I have ideas, just I don't know which path I should go down. I have the obvious UVA obligation of a summer internship, which I currently don't have. I'm still waiting to hear back from one company, but lets face it, my luck is not the best, so I'm kind of ruling that out in my mind until I actually receive word back. Next option, take classes at NYU for the summer. I've already applied for the summer housing in NYC, and the classes sound amazing. I am not one to enjoy even the thought of class in the summer, however, these are not just ANY classes. A little taste of my options: Photography, How to Write Your Own Autobiography, Exploring the Art Museums of NYC, etc. I mean this is a once in a lifetime opportunity to live in NY for the summer... however I'm probably playing out Sex and the City scenarios of glamor and a posh city lifestyle that probably wouldn't translate into the life of Katie Chapin. Ok, and last but not least I have the camp option. Now, many people have told me I need to grow up and move on... but I can't imagine a summer without camp. Actually I can imagine it. Junior year of high school I spent my summer at the University of Richmond govenor's school and had to wear a button with my name on it for the duration of the 4 week program. Gag me. I just spilled all of that out hoping that writing it down would somehow make sense of it all and lead me to a clear decision. NO SUCH LUCK. Input is welcome.

4 comments:

pminkler said...

I'm bored at work, so I'm stalking you. Just wanted to tell you that you're never too old for camp ... how old was I the last summer I went? That's right, 24. Granted, I was health care manager (which admittedly wasn't the best decision I've ever made) ... but once you have serious "adult" obligations (like a job and a husband, damn it) and you CAN'T go back to camp, you'll want to know that you took advantage of being able to be there while you could. Not to say that I think you should go there and scrap the rest of the plans without thinking twice, because you know what's best for you (I don't, even though I can read text in pictures with the best of them). But don't rule out camp just because people who don't know what a wonderful place it is are telling you you're too old. You're never too old for anything (especially camp), although I've discovered that you can be too YOUNG, having recently turned down a 20 year old who wanted Botox ...

pminkler said...

Also, I totally want a blog now.

Chapes said...

I want you to have a blog too so I can hear about stories such as 20 year olds coming in to your office for Botox. Thanks for your advice. You have now made my decision even harder than it already was :)

E Moore said...

wasn't i appointed your life coach last year?
also, hearing about this sex and the city summer is making me want go to new york to do that. except also make money. and be able to shop and eat a lot. any ideas?