Friday, September 21, 2007

When life gives you lemons. Watch Felicity.


For those of you who don't know, Felicity was a television show that was on the air from 1998-2002, and I've decided that it basically explains my life. I mean there's the obvious similarity: the hair. Its not often you find a frizzy haired character on TV these days now that we're in the era of the flat iron. This fact alone probably prompted me to buy all four seasons on DVD, a chronicle of her college years. Little did I know at the time the true value of this investment [If you are laughing at me right now/pitying my existence, I'm ok with that].

Anyway tonight, overtaken by nostalgia/feeling like a soggy noodle, I decided to turn again to my trusty friend. I of course had to start with the pilot episode when Felicity, in a moment of complete confidence, finally gets the courage to ask her long time crush, Ben, to sign her yearbook. It gets me everytime. Ben writes:

"Dear Felicity,
Here it goes. I've watched you for four years. Always wondered what you were like... what was going on in your mind all the time that you were so quiet, just thinking, drawing in your notebook. I should have just asked you, but I never asked you. So now, four years later, I don't even know you, but I admire you. Well, this makes me sound crazy, but I'm okay with that. So take care of yourself.
Love,
Ben
P.S. I would have said "keep in touch", but unfortunately we never were in touch."


After reading this, Felicity promptly changes her college plans of attending Stanford and follows Ben to NYU. Now, just for the sake of thought, I wonder how many people would ever actually do something like this. I know that whenever I am faced with an important decision there are always 2 choices: A) The practical, more logical choice or B) The choice that resonates with me (for reasons that I usually can't put into words). In these situations I am as predictable as a rock. I always choose A. Always. In this highly fictional/dramatized situation, Felicity, goes with B. While her choice was probably misguided, it represents something that I admire. [Yes, I did just say I admire a fictional character, but lets move past that.] She takes a chance. She ventures off from what she "should" do and does what she wants to do. This then brings up the question: Wouldn't it be nice to live your life as if you were a fictional character? I mean if I take a chance on life, will it be as kind as this nicely scripted drama? Probably not. However, if I were famous I would answer this question with a quotable quote saying, "There comes a time when you just have to decide to take off the training wheels and ride the bike."

So since I just made up my own quotable quote, I believe its time to put an end to this pointless circle of thought.

No comments: