Sunday, September 23, 2007

Ugly Never Looked So Good.


So for some reason I signed up for public speaking this semester, and since the first day it has caused me an absurd amount of anxiety, which we then proceeded to have a whole lesson on. I think being so cognizant of every facet of public speaking anxiety has somehow uxacerbated the whole situation. Anyway, my next speech, that I will be delivering on Tuesday, is required to be in the commemorative genre. I'm still rather unsure of what exactly a "commemorative" speech is, but after much ado I decided to write mine on Betty Suarez. The infamous, "ugly" Betty. Now, keep in mind that choosing Betty as my topic was a painstakingly long, drawn-out process that didn't really end until I had tried out at least 3 other topics and finally reverted back to this idea. Anyway, after about 3-4 drafts I was actually feeling a lot better about the speech itself... that was until the following conversation with another guy in my class:

Me: Hey! So how's your speech coming?
Guy: Well, I haven't actually written it, but I did finally decide on a topic.
Me: Yeah, that took me awhile too. What did you pick?
Guy: I have this friend who has recently been battling cancer, so I'm going to write about him and his struggle. How about you?
Me: ... I'm doing mine on Ugly Betty.
Guy: Oh. [pause] That'll be good.


This scenerio somehow seems like a reoccuring theme in my life. I'm feeling more like Ugly Betty by the second.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hope it went well today!!