Thursday, August 28, 2008

Niko, Chuck, Dreads, and Me.


Thinking I was doing an easy favor, I offered to be home for the delivery of our new couches this morning. One would think the couch delivery process would be quite straightforward. What I had in mind was something like this:

1. Open door. Greet couch delivery people.
2. Hold open door while couch delivery people carry couches inside.
3. Point to where the couches go.
4. Thank couch delivery people and close door upon their exit.

Unfortunately I wasn't so lucky. Mine went more like this.

1. Open door for Chuck. Just Chuck. Chuck informs me that he only has one couch because the love seat was ripped. Ok Chuck.
2. Chuck surveys the door and says, "Hmm this is gonna be tight." [On the phone he had told my roommate he expected an easy delivery.] No such luck Chuck.
3. Chuck exits. Promising to be back in a few minutes.
4. Chuck and Dreads arrive carrying the couch. Along with Chuck and Dreads is Niko [His name was unbeknownst to me at the time, but upon a later frantic phone call to my roommate describing an extremely fat calico cat, the name was divulged.] Niko plops down in Chuck and Dreads path.
5. Chuck steps on Niko while positioning the couch to go through the door. Niko bolts into our apartment. Thanks Chuck.
6. Chuck and Dreads try to lift the couch into our apartment. Couch doesn't fit. While they continue to puzzle over the seemingly unsolvable mystery of the couch and the door, I exit to look for Niko.
7. Niko is lost in our apartment.
8. After no avail, couch delivery men give up. Later Chuck. I am left looking for Niko and finally discover him tiptoeing out of my roommate room. She is allergic to cats.
9. With 30 pounds of cat in my hands, I call it a day and let Niko, my new fat cat friend out into the hallway.

Our living room is still empty... they are coming back for round 2 on Thursday. They put our couch on a strict diet until then. We may or may not have living room furniture in the near future. Until then, I will just sit on Niko.

No comments: