Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kinko's, I'm sorry I doubted you.


Today I learned why FedEx Kinko's is worth the price you pay. Unfortunately, I came upon this discovery too late to aid my cause. With internship book deadlines looming on Monday, this weekend was the final stage of the process: printing. After all the work that went into creating my book, this step seemed like the easy part. In fact so easy that it really only consisted of two steps:

1. Save book as PDF on thumb drive
2. Take thumb drive to Kinko's to print and bind

Leave it to me to mess up a simple two step process. I made it all the way to Kinko's to have them tell me that it would cost me $56 to print 2 copies. Well, I didn't stick around long enough to hear the final total once you added in the binding. I was out the door with the idea that I was young and resourceful. My determination sent adrenaline through my body as I went on a search for paper and print cartridges.

Of course when I got back to home base to examine the goods, I realized I purchased the wrong paper. Proceeding on despite this setback, I ventured into the joyous process of double sided printing manually. What I learned is that my printer is a feisty little beast. Each page was unpredictable. Would there be ink splatters? Would it get stuck? Was it upside down?

Friday night turned into "Printer and a Movie" as I sat patiently by my printer's side, anxiously awaiting its output... with The Wedding Planner playing softly in the background to balance out the negative energy in the room. When all was said and done around 2AM, I decided that $56 was a bargain.

No comments: