Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Great American Road Trip: Day 5


6:30AM
Thank goodness we are leaving this creepy land of isolation. But I will say that despite my disdain for this place, I slept like a baby last night. However, I think that may have been more of a result of having the tent all to myself, rather than having anything to do with the geography. How did I get a princess tent all to myself you ask? Well, luckily part of the whole "roughing it" scheme the boys are taking part in includes sleeping outside under the stars. Which actually sounds quite nice until you think about all the critters that could pay you a visit in the night. Tyler was chatting it up with the one lone couple staying in an RV near us and they mentioned to be careful of bears, scorpions, and--wait for it--TARANTULAS! After hearing that, you could have paid me to sleep outside! But anyway, they seemed to enjoy it and we all awoke in good spirits. Now we are off to the Grand Canyon and Melanie's sweet voice is gracing my ears. I really missed her yesterday.

9:23AM
We just stopped in Albuquerque and let's just say it wasn't quite my scene. Tyler went in with high hopes of Albuquerque being his dream locale. However after driving through, I think he downgraded it from great to good.

During our brief stop, we headed to a Starbucks. I know that doesn't sound like "roughing it" to me either, but Mark needed to check his email. I guess it has become near impossible to put the real world on hold for more than a few days.

Anyway, the Starbucks crowd was quite interesting. The word of choice was "dude." Imagine bikers and women with their hair down to their butts. I sat outside at a table just reading my book, wondering if I could ever fit in in Albuquerque. It would probably take a few years to grow my hair out, but I'm sure with a little effort I could incorporate "dude" into my vocabulary. You never know, a little Albuquerque might do me good.

10:38AM
We are on the historic Route 66. I was just informed that without this road The Grapes of Wrath would not exist. Sadly, I think my life would be better off without Steinbeck's torturous novel. I remember when that book was assigned for summer reading. The pages just seemed to go on forever. The feeling of reading that book is rushing back now as we drive along seemingly endless Route 66.

I guess now would be a good time to mention that I listened to a voice mail from my mother in which she said, "Hey Katie. Just wanted to call and get an attitude check. I hope it's positive."

9:08PM
We made it safely to the Grand Canyon and seeing if for the first time was unreal. There's just canyon as far as the eye can see. However, just looking out over the edge reminded me that I have a minor fear of heights. Not to mention, it was so windy at the lookout point that I thought I might blow right over the edge.

I also had the pleasure of seeing a beautiful sunset over the canyon. However walking back from the lookout point, I got my first camping injury. Mark and I were walking back on the side of the road--me wearing proper footwear and him wearing flip-flops. And of course it is me who slips on the gravel and goes down scraping up my leg pretty nicely. Battle scars to prove that I too can "rough it."

Anyway, I need a good night's rest. Apparently we are going on some 6-12 mile hike tomorrow...

Will I survive?

No comments: