Sunday, January 11, 2009

At the Y-M-C-A!


As I begin my second semester of graduate school, I came to the realization that I have no hobbies... unless you count watching endless seasons TV shows on DVD. Anyway, since the Turkey Trot 5K was so successful *cough cough*, I decided to go with the lifetime sport of running. I've always been horrible at running, but I found the perfect solution to this problem: sign up for a training course with lots of other people who are horrible at running.

Yes, the YMCA actually has a 10K training course and after attending the orientation session, I think I'm in for 10 weeks of pure entertainment. Everyone else at the meeting seemed to be 40+ and mostly there to lose weight. In fact, no one besides myself seemed even the slightest bit concerned about the running aspect of the course. One lady even found it necessary to share with us her weight and was inquiring in front of the whole group what she should be eating and how many calories she could expect to burn.
Our instructor/"coach" then told her a story about how he ran 3 marathons within 2 weeks and actually ended up gaining 7 pounds. She didn't like that.

Anyway, our first group run is Saturday at 8:30AM. Can't wait to see what I'm up against...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My dear KT, as you venture into your new sport of "running", always remember #1. to breathe #2. to focus on one step at a time and in time, you will always reach the finish line! Good Luck!