Sunday, April 5, 2009

In the Land of Hipsters


Culture shock victim: Me
Foreign country: VCU Brandcenter

My trusty resource Wikipedia describes culture shock as "the anxiety and feelings (of surprise, disorientation, uncertainty, confusion, etc.) felt when people have to operate within a different and unknown cultural or social environment, such as a foreign country."

You trying being me in a hipster environment. It isn't easy.

And while I can't fundamentally change some things about myself, such as my bedtime, my innocent nature, and my love of Gossip Girl- I've decided that there are some aspects of this culture worth adopting. These include:

1. The food. Hipsters eat the most ridiculous sounding, yet delicious, food combinations. Ex. Dark chocolate covered Edamame. However, whether or not these creations are tasty or not really isn't the point- it's more the shock factor. Dark chocolate Edamame probably wouldn't taste as good if people didn't react with an exclamation of: "DARK CHOCOLATE EDAMAME?!?!***?!!!?????!"

2. The clothes. Hipsters look cool. Intimidatingly cool. If I ever get on What Not to Wear, I've decided to tell Stacy and Clinton that I would like them to add hipster accents to my Ann Taylor look. I wonder if Ann Taylor makes a skinny jean.

3. The hangouts. I go to Starbucks. They go to Captain Buzzy's. I go to P.F. Chang's. They go to Sticky Rice. If they would post a sign outside these establishments to welcome in non-hipsters, I would really appreciate it. Sometimes us non-hipsters just require a little extra push.


Needless to say, I'm starting to really appreciate the unique characters that surround my daily life at Brandcenter. They definitely bring a different perspective to the table. Unfortunately they don't see the merit in things like the Jonas Brothers, waking up early, to-do lists, and lunch totes... but I have a feeling that one day they'll come around.

No comments: